Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Social Bookmarking

I clicked through all of the social bookmarking sites and wrote down five that looked like they would be easy to navigate through. Now this probably isn’t the smartest way to choose a site but when time is valuable reading through a bunch of stuff is a waste of time. So I narrowed it to blinklist, diigo, sourceforge, furl, and delicious. My final choice was furl. That site had a video demo and seemed ok enough for me to give it a try.

So, I have used the social bookmarking thing for a bit. It does seem like a good thing. I am so not into change I am not sure if I will keep up with it or not. I kind of like my own bookmarks on my computer but the thought about losing all my favorites or not being able to have them anywhere I am has crossed my mind more than once and has even annoyed me a couple of times when I switched computers and clicked on my favorites forgetting I was not on my original computer.

I am thinking at this point I probably won’t use the social bookmarking site but not because I don’t like it. I am pressed for time now. But I am thinking that during the summer I will begin with it and add my all my favorites and really try to use it. I will even go to a different computer in my house, since I have more than one and that is where the annoyance comes in.

I will recommend and talk about social bookmarking with my friends and see what they have to say.

I am good with furl. I might try delicious only because I watched my library friend, Barb, use it one afternoon and it was pretty cool.

I was slightly amazed with what I could do with furl but I was not shocked or elated. Ask me this when the summer is over.
The only thing I can think of using it with students would be to save websites they have found for an assignment in one class or at home and they need to use it in a different class or at school. The good part is that we can access some of the sites from our district portal. Those would be the ones I show them.


http://www.furl.net/my/archive

No comments: