Sunday, December 28, 2008

Online Productivity Tools

I was pretty much impressed by all three of the productivity tools, Google Docs, ZohoWrite, and Think Free, that I perused. I tried word processing and the spreadsheet tools. They seemed pretty much like Office to me. Now granted I just do the basics each time I use them so I guess I can’t say for sure one is better than the other. I tried the presentation one but just had a lot of trouble loading it so I am not sure about that one.

As far as I could tell there was nothing superior about the online productivity tools but nothing bad either.

If I had to give up Microsoft Office I believe that these tools would do the trick for me. I am amazed that they are free and pretty much worked just like Office. I also kind of liked the fact that I could share my docs. if I wanted to. How great that would be instead of emailing everything. I think I made mention of this before in another blog. Right now that is the biggest plus of all.

I guess schools and businesses could switch over to these tools if the tools would do what the company needed it to do. In the schools I would definitely test drive it first just because change is a big thing. And wow freeing up space is always a good thing. But having limited storage space online is also a killer. Free is not always free so you will have to deal with ads on these sites because they have to get their money from somewhere.

I guess paying $100-150 is not bad considering Office is probably more than that. And you have the convenience of having access all the time, unless you can’t get online. And who knows maybe giving a little now could mean more later.

No comments: