Saturday, November 22, 2008

RSS

RSS

Setting up the RSS readers in both the browser-based aggregator and the web-based aggregator took me some time. I am not savy at this stuff and it ended up more frustrating to me than anything else. I am not sure how many google videos I searched and watched or how many just plain google searches I did before I kind of got the meaning of what I was supposed to do. I guess the good part was that when I finally did figure it out I felt like I had learned something. I chose Bloglines and used Firefox as my two.
I had seen the RSS symbol many times and wondered what to do with it. Never did anything with it because I just really didn’t care that much. But…………… now that I know what it does I think it is kind of cool. Using Firefox was very simple to set up and use and ran into no problems, once I figured out how to do it, which took me way longer than it should have. Bloglines was also very simple to use. I really don’t have a preference at this point in the game.
I think these could be beneficial for students. If you actually set up a blog for your class or classes what a great way to keep everyone current in a few simple steps. I think I would like to demonstrate each type of reader and let the kids decide what they like best.
Using RSS could help teachers always be in communication with students even if they were absent or school was not in session.

No comments: